DOGS ON CALL, INC. R.E.A.D. WORKSHOP
Dogs On Call, Inc. holds R.E.A.D. workshops several times a year. Taught by licensed R.E.A.D. Instructor, the workshop is designed to provide you with the knowledge, tools, and assistance necessary to support you in adding the R.E.A.D. registration to your Pet Partners Registration. Some of the topics covered in the workshop are:
- Information on Intermountain Therapy Animals (ITA) and Reading Education Assistance Dogs (R.E.A.D.), including the history of the R.E.A.D. program, and research to support how reading to a trained animal can improve not only reading scores, but also other areas of a child’s life;
- Understanding the different venues where the R.E.A.D. program can be held (libraries, schools, after-school programs, etc.);
- Demonstrations of how to visit and proper positioning with your therapy animal;
- Information on being your dogs’ best advocate;
- Techniques to help a struggling child, including when and how to offer assistance while the child is reading, and when to have a child pick a new book.
The course is for handlers only. The only animals present will be our dual-registered R.E.A.D./Pet Partners animals used in demonstrations.
Why Take a Class?
Dogs On Call, Inc. requires all members to take this workshop before becoming a R.E.A.D. team. Our workshop participants gain knowledge from participating in problem-solving throughout the day and from demonstrations from current R.E.A.D. teams.
Upcoming Class DatesNothing scheduled at this time, please check back soon.
- Meriter Hospital’s McConnell Hall, Madison, WI.
Class Fee Schedule
- $50 for a Workshop with a Manual.
- $10 for a Workshop without a Manual (for people who already have a current manual, or for librarians or educators who do not wish to have a manual).
In order to become R.E.A.D. registered, upon completion of the workshop each participant must complete and pass a written test (contained in each Manual), and send it in to ITA with a onetime registration fee.
For more information or to register for a class, please contact Laura Kuchta.